Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Building Their Toolbelts

As the second part of the school year begins, I'm feeling refreshed and energized.  As a teacher, obviously I love my breaks (don't we all) and it was a little rough to come back and wake up early.  However, the energy that my students brought back after break has been contagious.  Their confidence and familiarity with the iPads and the apps has inspired them to learn more.  I've caught myself giving my classroom a 2nd look these last few weeks.  After a semester of hard work of teaching and working on the iPads, my classroom feels like a little steam engine that is chugging along smoothly.  I can finally breathe!
This past week, I have been able to tell my students, you need to create a project that shows your understanding of the reading vocabulary we are learning, immediately after I gave them this assignment, students started asking about using a variety of apps to show their learning.  I loved the fact that they were so familiar with so many of the apps that they were willing to use.  I now have projects flowing in from all of my students that are filled with app smashing.  They are using Keynote, Explain Everything, Comic Life, Tellagami, and many others.   The beauty of this is that they are doing this by themselves!
So my advice for those of you with 1:1 iPads.  Be patient, work diligently with the students on a variety of apps.  Fill up their tool belts, then let them build. Eventually your work pays off and your students become creators that revolutionize their way of learning.

2 comments:

  1. Sharae, thanks for the encouraging words! I really appreciate the invisible seat belt or carrier that you represent as someone that I can depend on in a crisis. I love how this district is starting this iPad journey and I am so excited to be a part of it. Looking forward to picking your brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely written Sharae! Spoken like a true champ in the trenches! Thanks for being willing to step outside your comfort zone and box! Look forward to continuing my support of you and your classroom!

    ReplyDelete